From evidence to action
Wednesday 2 December 2020
Online event in partnership with the Global Land Alliance (GLA), the International Land Coalition Africa (ILC Africa), and the Initiative Prospective Agricole et Rurale (IPAR)
- Prindex 2020 findings for Sub-Saharan Africa - presentation
- AUDA-NEPAD presentation on Land Governance Program by Clement Adjorlolo
- LANDex presentation by Ward Anseeuw
- Download the infographic report on Sub-Saharan Africa
Prindex global data reveals a great deal of diversity in Africa in how secure people feel in their homes and on their land. Rwanda (8%) has one of the lowest rates of tenure insecurity in the world, whereas Burkina Faso (44%) has one of the highest.
The reasons behind this diversity include weak legal systems, overlapping statutory and customary regimes, poor enforcement, corruption, and land grabbing.
Rewatch the event for a presentation of Prindex findings on sub-Saharan Africa, followed by a panel discussion on using data on land and property insecurity to inform decision-making.
- Guest speaker: Esther Obaikol, Land Governance Expert, IGAD
- Moderator: Audace Kubwimana, Regional Coordinator for Africa, ILC
- Ibrahima KA, Prindex Regional Coordinator for Africa
- Clement Adjorlolo, African Union Development Agency (AUDA-NEPAD)
- Ward Anseeuw, Senior Technical Specialist, ILC
- Malcolm Childress, Co-Director, Prindex
- Esther Muiru, Women's Land Rights Manager, International Land Coalition
- Ruth Minja, Principal Statistician, Tanzania National Bureau of Statistics
- Taibat Lawanson, Associate Professor of Urban Planning, University of Lagos